Saturday, April 11, 2009

Where's the Censorship? (assignment 2-1)

Bleep, bleep, bleep. This is the sound that you used to hear if someone used profanity on TV or the radio. However, censorship is becoming scarce as time progresses. I have noticed that television seems to censor certain words over others or only bleep out words when a person curses consistently. This trend seems to be something I have became aware of on cable television networks more often than on broadcast networks. Music lyrics seem to be the same, certain words seem to be bleeped out more than others. Why is the trend becoming ok to society? It is becoming apparent that the ethical and moral values of society are changing versus those who preceded us. It’s in our first amendment that we have freedom of speech. So, does this mean that soon censorship will cease to exist? Hopefully it doesn’t for the sake of parents trying to raise children with good ethical and moral values. I understand that in society people curse all the time, but when you sit down to watch television it’s supposed to be an escape away from reality. This word reality brings about the real issue with censorship. Reality TV seems to be the most popular form of television, which makes censorship harder when it’s unexpected. I believe a solution to this problem is that instead of the network being fined the person who uses profanity on TV should be fined. Maybe if it was a penalty behind the action it would limit the issue from happening. TV is becoming so bad that they have shows that look like cartoons that are using profanity. These shows look like they are catered toward children, but are really adult cartoons (South Park, The Simpson, and Adult Swim). As an adult we are able to fill in the blank of a censored out word, however a child isn’t which makes censorship a great thing. Children are like sponges and are constantly soaking up things that they learn this is why it’s vital to be careful what their brains are fed. I know that this is the job of the parent but it’s getting hard to supervise when the profanity is coming through cartoons that you perceived as being innocent. As technology and time progresses on I hope for the sake of the next generations that censorship improves. The times are changing, the people are changing, but censorship should definitely stick around. Allow people to make their own decision on what profanity they want to hear or allow their children to hear, but television shouldn’t be allowed to make that choice.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that censorship seems to have gone by the wayside. There used to be time in the evenings on network TV known as family time where you were safe to watch programming with your children. As networks fight for ratings I feel that censorship is the last thing on their minds. Not just language but also adult themes. After all, sex sells.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughtful comments on censorship. As you say, it isn't just the language but often the content as well, but that is what the networks are trying to do, attracting people looking for the train wreck.

    I recently heard a casting director for a 'reality show' say that she was always looking for the craziest people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great comments. I have been noticing the same thing on TV and radios. When I hear something I am always like that would have never been allowed to be said when I was a kid. I have been noticing alot of pornography, too. Well, semi-pornography, but they wonder why teenager pregnancy continues to increase and look around. The morals of today are definitely changing and I am from generation Y. Call me old-fashion, but I don't approve. I hope the censorship of cussing and nudity comes back soon and don’t progress, because our next generation needs to be taught what is right and wrong. The TV is a major part of family life and it needs to be the most censored.

    ReplyDelete