Celebrities seem to be a big part of popular culture. Many of the things they do in their everyday lives are made public via the media. It seems like today people are obsessed with celebrities and celebrity gossip. Celebrity gossip is usually something that I pay little attention. However, they are currently creating a trend that for the right intentions is beautiful and done for personal gain is a heinous trend in the making. The trend that I am referring to is the adopting of children in third world countries. You’ve heard of it as well I am sure (Brad & Angelina; Madonna). Madonna seems to be the latest celebrity in the news regarding this situation. She adopted a little boy a couple of years ago from the country of Malawi. She has now gone back in hopes of adopting a little girl. However, the judge ruled against her. Despite the denial I’m sure this will not be the end. Adoption is a beautiful thing when your motives are in it for the sincerity. However, with all the publicity that it is gaining it makes me wonder if it’s being done to heighten celebrity exposure. Just think when is the last time you heard a Madonna song? But now you hear of her trying to adopt a child. I think that if this is something that they want to do then they need not publicize it. When celebrities have babies of their own the paparazzi isn’t in the delivery room, so if they can manage to keep them away for that extent of time, then why not for an adoption process? Either way I question their motives adoption of children in third world countries shouldn’t be a trend but out of sincerity.
If there should be a trend started of adoption then it should start in our own country. There are many children in adoption agencies waiting to be adopted. Let’s start in our own country and then maybe this can spread like a wild fire to “mainstream” society. Imagine if that trend started how many children could be with loving families? Imagine that!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your comments are very insightful, and I question celebrities motives as well. Adoption is a good example but there are others as well, like marriages and engagements.
ReplyDeleteCelebrities often have a strong need for attention. When they are not getting it from being in movies and music video's they need to do something else that put's them in the public spotlight. Adoptions are the kinds of things that would generate 'positive' exposure. Like you have mentioned though, why not adopt children from here in the United States that can also use a good family?