Monday, April 20, 2009
The New, Covenient way to communicate (assignment 3-1)
LOL; OMG; BRB. Welcome to the wonderful world of texting. Texting has become a huge phenomenon especially with generation Y. To show its popularity the Guinness book of records list the most text sent in a month from a girl who sent 182,689 texts in one month. That equals out to 6,100 per day. This has become the most popular form of communication. It has become so popular that cell phone carriers offer unlimited text messaging plans. Texting is most popular due the convenience it provides of being able to communicate with people anywhere you are at. The difference between using your cell phone and texting from your cell phone is that when your texting your not disturbing anyone. Texting allows you to communicate in places that you can’t use your cell phone such as at the library, at work, at school, etc. Texting is also a private form of communication. You’re able to say what you want to say without anyone hearing you as well as say things that you wouldn’t say on the phone. However, the advantages of texting aren’t all good, it has it’s downsize as well. Such as the new teen trend of “Sexting”. This involves kids sending naked pictures of themselves to each other. This brings about an issue of child pornography because these teens are under 18.There was an episode on Good morning America a couple of weeks ago regarding this issue. A girl sent a naked photo to one of her friends and that friend forwarded the photo and so on and so on. These teens are now being brought up on charges of child pornography. This brings me to my other issue with texting. You have to be careful with what you send via text. Once a text is sent it is able to be forwarded to other people and viewed. This could come back to haunt you if the message is something inappropriate or could possibly get you into trouble. Threatening people via text is another example of the ways people have began using this technology. Threatening someone via text could be used as physical evidence against you in court. Text messages are also used to solve legal cases; they provide detectives with times and dates, along with known associates. As this phenomenon keeps rising cell phone manufactures are creating phones to make texting easier. Many phones are now made with a QWERTY key board. This is a form of technology that has made communication easy, simple, and convenient for anyone. I anticipate the future of the world of texting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I recently purchased a BlackBerry with a qwerty keyboard. All of the keys are right there in front of me but I still have trouble getting it onto the screen. I tend to hit several keys at once. Another thing I have noticed about texting is the lack of grammar. I understand the use of acronyms but some messages are so poorly written, I cn brly us tm.
ReplyDeleteLOL, I love it. On the one hand I too am concerned about the short cuts with texting and the inappropriate forms of texting taking place, but it is very handy as you described so well.
ReplyDeleteI have also heard of new forms of art developing, like texting hiaku.
Texting is a nice and easy method to communicate but you bring up a good point that it's very easy to harrass and threaten people through texting. Although most carriers have a code to block the number from texting they can still use another phone. I am a big texter, I love it! I can do it anywhere. At home, at work, at the store, in the car, although in the car is not safe I think it's more dangerous than talking on the cell while driving. I have the scoop which is a slider phone and it has the qwerty keyboard on it. I love it! It's so much easier than using T9, which use to be my preferred method of texting, or having to hit the 2 key 3 times to get a c. Texting is revolutionizing the communication world.
ReplyDeleteMy parents always use texting on their phones. Personally, I used texting when I was younger. However, my phone charges me to use texting, so I stay away from it.
ReplyDelete