
Pop culture is the study of one particular component of culture. These components involve taste culture, elite culture, folk culture, and popular culture. Pop culture to me means the latest trends in society. Such as technology, celebrities, magazines, etc. Some things in pop culture today are ipods, digital cameras, digital picture frames, to the latest scoop on Brad and Angelina Jolie’s newly adopted child, to Madonna’s adoption process. Pop culture to me is every where you look. In an economic sense it’s what keeps money flowing into the economy. Whenever something new comes out as humans we want to be the first to have it or be apart of the group that can say we have it. Pop culture is what keeps society thriving.
Pop culture is relevant to me in the business environment because you have to be aware of what is going on “now” in order to serve people what they want. If your business is focused around people and things that are no longer popular within “mainstream” society, then you are at risk for going out of business. Trends are constantly developed and faded away just as fast. So, in order to keep a float a business must move with the changing times. In my present career I work as a Data Entry Supervisor for a basement finishing company. The effects of the current economy have also played a role in pop culture. At my job we have added additional products to try and keep a float. We now offer insulation and tubs. For years the business has survived off of basement sales alone. However, with the changing times of economic hardship the business has shifted resulting in higher sales in insulation. So, I have witnessed that as society changes you must change along with it. In my future I think that pop culture will influence what direction I will go in to seek employment. I may lean towards one area of focus now, but within two years of finishing my degree, society can and will change which may sway my focus to another area of employment.
I think that cell phones are a prime example of a pop culture artifact. I chose cell phones because in the technology “savvy” era that we live in people metaphorically will tell you that they can’t live without their cell phone. How many times have you left your cell phone at home and you turned around to go and get it? If you stop and think right now could you recite the phone numbers of five people you talk to all the time? Most of us cant because we are so used to going in are phone and just clicking on the person’s name. Phones such as blackberry’s and iphones have peoples whole work life in them; meetings, appointments, etc. This is a pop culture artifact that as time evolves it won’t fade away but keep improving to cater to people of the changing times.
Pop culture is relevant to me in the business environment because you have to be aware of what is going on “now” in order to serve people what they want. If your business is focused around people and things that are no longer popular within “mainstream” society, then you are at risk for going out of business. Trends are constantly developed and faded away just as fast. So, in order to keep a float a business must move with the changing times. In my present career I work as a Data Entry Supervisor for a basement finishing company. The effects of the current economy have also played a role in pop culture. At my job we have added additional products to try and keep a float. We now offer insulation and tubs. For years the business has survived off of basement sales alone. However, with the changing times of economic hardship the business has shifted resulting in higher sales in insulation. So, I have witnessed that as society changes you must change along with it. In my future I think that pop culture will influence what direction I will go in to seek employment. I may lean towards one area of focus now, but within two years of finishing my degree, society can and will change which may sway my focus to another area of employment.
I think that cell phones are a prime example of a pop culture artifact. I chose cell phones because in the technology “savvy” era that we live in people metaphorically will tell you that they can’t live without their cell phone. How many times have you left your cell phone at home and you turned around to go and get it? If you stop and think right now could you recite the phone numbers of five people you talk to all the time? Most of us cant because we are so used to going in are phone and just clicking on the person’s name. Phones such as blackberry’s and iphones have peoples whole work life in them; meetings, appointments, etc. This is a pop culture artifact that as time evolves it won’t fade away but keep improving to cater to people of the changing times.
Good comments and discussion. I like watching old movies to see how technology has changed life. I remember an old Sinatra movie, at the end of the movie he is talking to his girlfriend from a "car phone", that was more like a radio... and he was 'so cool'. The business offices in older films are so different then they are today.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree with you more on everything you have in your blog. I'm guilty myself of being a cell phone addict. If I leave my house without it, I sure do turn around to go home and get it. As sad as it is, that's what most have become use to having all the time, it's their lifeline. Like you said with the new smartphones that hold EVERYTHING it's a relevant fact that cell phones won't go away, they will only keep improving. Your page looks great!!
ReplyDelete